Meeting Minutes

September 19th, 2016

posted Feb 27, 2017, 12:26 PM by David R. Noel

Meeting Minutes for September 19th, 2016

The Meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. with 12 members present.

David Noel, Deb Elliott, Fred Elliott, DeeDee Corey, Lane Corey, Ed Cole, John Rich, Marty

Zipf, Mark Oldenburg, Ray Cole, Doreen Williams, and Bob Williams.

Minutes from the August meeting were read and accepted.

The Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events Planned for the rest of September:

Club Ride at Woodlawn September 25 th , 10:00AM

BOD Meeting: As reported by Fred

The white Vasa Plates will no longer be used for displaying the registration sticker. It looks like

they are going to a two sticker system (front and back)

The new registrations will be good from April until March of the following year.

The By-Laws were changed to move the annual meeting to June.

Trail Report:

Woodlawn – Open until September 30th

Ira –Open until September 30th

Dutch Hill-Open Open until September 30th.

Fred and Deb rode Dutch Hill and reported there were several trees down. A lady that lived on

the road try to tell them they couldn’t ride there.

Bob rode Ira and reported the trails were in good shape. No change from the last work day.

Page 2 September 2016 Meeting

Old Business:

 Service award letters were passed out to the recognized members.

 It was decided to do Hot Dogs and Chips on the Old Trail Head at Wood Lawn

September 25 th .

 It was decided that “wearing Apparel” could be taken off future Agendas as there was

nothing to report.

 Danny Hale, David Noel, and Jim Philbrook attended the Middletown springs board

meeting to ask permission to ride the class 3 roads. The board seemed receptive to the

idea. Danny was going to email them a copy of the draft ordinance that is used in other

towns. This is just a preliminary step and would have to be approved by the board and/or

town through a vote.

New Business:

 The motion was made and passed to have business cards made up for the President, Vise

President, and Trail coordinator. This would be a more professional approach when they

were conducting business and representing the club.

 David made the suggestion that next year we should try doing an annual event (poker

run) like the event we held at Woodlawn earlier this year. We would advertize and try to

draw in Vasa Members from around the state.

Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM

July 18th, 2016

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:43 AM by David R. Noel

The Meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. with 14 members present.

David Noel, Deb Elliott, Fred Elliott, DeeDee Corey, Lane Corey, Ed Cole, Michael Pedone,

John Rich, Jim Philbrook, Ray Cole, Mark Oldaburg, Martha Zigof, Ted Wenta, and Bob

Williams.

Minutes from June meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events Planned for the rest of July and August:

Mt. Washington Ride (Vasa Event) July 31 st .

Club Ride at Ira. Saturday August 20 th , at 10:00 AM

BOD Meeting:

VASA is laying off the lobbyist while the legislature is not in session. This will save Vasa

$30,000.

They did hire a new person to work on the trail systems.

Danny and crew are currently spending all their time closing existing trail systems.

They plan on inviting any club members that would like to see what they do to one of the trails

they have been working on. This will be in October.

The Vasa Windmill ride is scheduled for October.

They have $78,000 in Grant money that they plan on buying some new equipment with.

The current Vasa plate system is going away. It will beSticker only. Transfers are free.

Trail Report:

Woodlawn – Open

Ira –Open

Dutch Hill-Open.

*The ST. Pierre property lease is close to being up for renewal (August 13 th , 2016. According to

Ray Cole they want to be paid for the lease. The club does not pay for riding leases. David will

check with them to see if they would possibly re sign without the club paying. If not we will

have to let the lease go.

*Jim had a preliminary meeting with the town of West Rutland to see if there was a possibility of

riding ATV’s into town to the stores. They felt at this time our trail system wasn’t big enough to

Page 2 July 2016 Meeting

warrant the need to come in to town for supplies. Following his report there was a lot of

discussion on how and where to expand the trail system.

Old Business:

*The discussion continued on trail expansion. Wood lawn and Dutch Hill are fairly close. The

group wants to continue to explore the possibility of a connector trail between the two.

*Ray reported that they had a huge turnout for the New Hampshire Mt Washington ride and that

it was total Chaos. They had 1,500 or more ATV’s and had to turn 100’s away. ATV trailers

take up too much room and were blocking driveways.

This years Vermont Vasa ride would be on, but it didn’t look good for future ATV rides up Mt.

Washington.

New Business:

 David is looking for volunteers to write articles on each of our trail systems that could be

posted on the web site and Face Book page.

 The motion was made, and 2 nd to vote on the charge for lunch at the work details and

rides to be optional based on attendance. The vote carried.

 David brought up the idea that the club should acknowledge past officers years of service

with some form of gift or gift certificate. This is to be brought up at the next meeting.

 David did an inventory on wearing apparel. It was decided that from now on apparel

would be ordered as needed as it ties up money and space.

Meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM

June 20th, 2016

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:42 AM by David R. Noel

The Meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m. with 12 members present.

David Noel,Deb Elliott,Fred Elliott,DeeDee Corey,Lane Corey,Ed Cole,Michael Pedone,

John Rich,Jim Philbrook,Scott Fitzgerald,Mark Oldaburg,Martha Zigof

Minutes from May meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events Planned for July:

July 4 th Poultney Parade.

Mt. Washington Ride (Vasa Event) July 31 st .

BOD Meeting:

Wants members to use the orange VASA trail maintenance plate. White plates are possibly going

away because of cost - Our club is for keeping the plate because it's easier to see. Fred and David

will speak for the club at the next BOD on our behalf - ACCEPTED

Topsham is dissolving because of a dispute of money and drama all assets of club go to VASA.

VASA wants us to push bumper stickers (I ride ATVs and I vote) and support the people who

support ATVing on state land.

VASA is really pushing VORA and requesting that clubs join VORA and Greenways Council.

Our club voted not to join VORA or Greenways (0 yes, all no)

Trail Report:

Woodlawn – Open

Ira –Open –Jim Philbrook and Son rode Ira and met 4 people. Trail head needs mowing.

Dutch Hill-Open.

Old Business:

Move Kiosk from Sherri's .

Combination lock has changed for Woodlawn.

3 at memorial day parade, we need more attendance for parades.Send out an email and have at

least 6 people commit by 6/30 or we won't pariticpate. David went to White Trash Bash, gave

out stickers some people didn't know there was a club in West Rutland

Page 2

New Business:

Trail expansion need someone more familiar with West Rutland. Jim Philbrook and David Noel

Check into Shrewsbury for trails

Sat Aug 20th ride in Ira

Sept 25th ride at Woodlawn (sun 10am)

The meeting was adjourned at 8:26 PM.

May 11th, 2016

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:30 AM by David R. Noel

The Meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. with 10 members present.

Minutes from April 13th meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report for April 13th was read and accepted.

Events Planned for May:

Club ride at Woodlawn-May 22 nd .

West Rutland Memorial day parade- May 30 th .

BOD Meeting: David Noell and Fred Elliott were our club representatives.

*New Law enforcement funding policy- Club can request LE funding in advance, then submit

invoice/receipt for 50% reimbursement from Vasa.

*Lt. Governor Phil Scot encourages us to vote for “common sense” politicians.

*Web site will be taken down soon and a new single page will go up. This is to prepare

for the new Website work.

*Dani from VASA will be working to improve VORA.

*Clubs up North are having problems with loud 4-wheelers with modified exhaust.

Trail Report:

Woodlawn – Open

Ira – open after 12:00 PM month of May

Dutch Hill-Open.

Riverside Farm Permanently Closed

Old Business:

Leases were completed and turned in for Red Path, Dutch Hill, John Farrell.

Waiting on Ira’s, and Ted Shelowski’s.

The workdays had a pretty good turnout and trails seem to be in good shape.

New Business:

Jim Philbrook was appointed as the new trail coordinator. He brought the map of Woodlawn

with the new (Shorty’s) trailhead drawn in.

Fred Elliott was appointed as the new Events coordinator as the treasurer felt he needed more

responsibility.

Page 2

A motion was made and 2 nd .and approved to move the meeting s to the first Monday of the

Month. After the fact it was brought up that Holidays fall on some of the first Mondays, so a new

motion was made to move it to the 3 rd Monday of the month. It was 2 nd and carried.

Bob is to get the new signed leases mailed to Vasa.

David said the taxes have been filed.

Fred and Deb will head up the Memorial Day parade at West Rutland.

There was a discussion that the Kiosk could be moved from Scallop Drive to the entrance from

Shorty’s trail head. The Kiosk at Sherry’s should be taken down and moved. Ray was going to

check with Telescope to see if they had a problem with moving the Kiosk.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM.

April 13th, 2016

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:29 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 6:30 p.m. with 20 members present.

Minutes from Feb. 10th meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

Relay for Life, Car Show June 5 th . Dutch Hill trail clean up Mon. 18 th at 4:00 PM, Woodlawn trail clean up

April 30 th , 9:00 AM.

BOD Meeting:

Danny Hale, VASA recieved $10,000. grant from Polaris for the new web site.

Trail Report:

Woodlawn - May 1st.

Ira May 1rst-after 12:00 PM month of May

Dutch Hill-May 1 st .

Riverside Farm Closed taken off VASA Map

Old Business:

Ray stated, he wasnt going to run again as president, the same for DeeDee and Ken. Chris doesn’t want to

be trail coordinator because of his health issues. Sherry accepted to head up nominating committee.

Donation to Relay of Life Car Show was made a motion and accepted.

New Business:

Paper work needs to be signed for trails. Bob was to get Dutch Hills signed. Jim Philbrooke to get Redpath

signed. Ray said he would follow up with Telescope’s. Ira’s paperwork was sent to them. An issue of junk

being left at Dutch Hill by unknowns, club to keep watch and keep clean.

Sheri had one person interested in running for office. They lived too far away to make meetings.



2016 Elections results, President, David Noell, Vice President, Fred Elliot, Treasurer, Deb Elliot, Secretary,

Bob Williams. Sheri Smith is public relations officer and Riding Apparel representative.

Riding events coordinator is needed. Jim Pilbrook was interested in trail coordinator. He wasn’t familiar with

Woodlawn. Ray stated you could have one for each trail systems if you wanted. BOD rep. is up to the club.

David Noell and Fred Elliot said they would go to the May meeting. Concerns were brought up about ATV

riders that were not VASA members riding the trails.

February 10th, 2016

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:27 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. with 12 members present ~ (John Rich, Ed Cole, Ken Cleveland, Dee

Dee Corey, Lane Corey, Mimi Koza, Steve Koza, Jack Johnson, Ray Cole, Sherry Smith, Doreen and Bob

Williams)

Minutes from October 14th, 2015 meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

No events scheduled. The car show date has moved. Not sure on exact date but the club planned to donate

the same as the previous year and participate.

BOD Meeting:

Ray and Ken discussed the results of the last Vasa meeting. A lot of discussion centered around the

meeting information. Vasa is working toward launching the new web site, with a start up cost of $5,000

to$6,000. And an estimated completion cost of $15,000. By the year 2017 all Vasa clubs will need to

standardize membership fees, so they can be purchased on line. Vasa is dropping the big event and is

looking for suggestions from the clubs for new ideas. They may go with the Wind Tower Ride and the Mt.

Washington ride. There has been no grant money for trail work released to date. There were 2,300

memberships sold in 2015, but there were 13,800 Atvs registered. They had 60 people come to the annual

meeting.

Trail Report:

All trails currently closed.

Old Business:

Vasa brought the excavator down late last year. They fixed up the top of the class 4 middletown hill road.

Club was not sure where else they did any work.

New Business:

Ken brought up that Vast has invited the club to their annual meeting if anyone is interested in attending.

The motion was made and 2 nd to pay the $70. Post Office fee.

The motion was made and 2 nd to make the donation for the Car Show for cancer.

Sherry accepted to head up the nominating committee for the April election of officers.

After much discussion and ideas it was decided to go with Pizza (not The Pie Shacks) and bring a desert to

pass for the April election meeting.

Oct. 14th, 2015

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:24 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. with 9 members present ~ (John Rich, Ed Cole, Ken Cleveland, Dee

Dee Corey, Ed Rivers, Lane Corey, Tom Witham, Doreen and Bob Williams)

Minutes from Sept. 9, 2015 meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

The last club ride of the season will be, Oct 25 th , at Riverside Farm. The start time 10:00 AM. There will be a

potluck after the ride. Will post on Facebook and send out email.

BOD Meeting:

Ken reported that: there is a new club in Chittenden Co. The wind tower ride in Danville was a big success.

The game wardens have issued 17 citations and 19 warnings. VASA meeting is going to be a breakfast

meeting. They had one in the past. Worked well. Grants not working out. Delayed, need permission before

any dirt can be pushed. Vast doesn’t need this permission, why does VASA? Polaris has give VASA $10,000.

Toward a 6 wheeler, for carrying supplies into trails, and for Danny to get around in. Tyler the trail guide

has moved on. Will not fill position right away. Save some money on salaries. Island Pond Club no longer

VASA Club. They did not go to the meetings. Trails will be taken off map next year. St Johnsbury club would

like to make a connector trail to NH trails. Ken went to public hearing on state land connector trail. The

meeting was positive. People were for it and not against it.

Trail Report:

Riverside Farm is the only trail opened. No one at the meeting has ridden there since trail clean up.

Old Business:

Vasa brought the excavator down, not sure where they did the work.

New Trail: The discussion continued on new trail development that would tie on to existing trails on Dutch

Hill and continue towards Woodlawn. Ken was looking in to landowners to get permission. The biggest

landowner that the trail would have to go across, is not ATV friendly. Leases his land to hunters, and won’t

let them ride their ATV’s. A different route would have to be made.



New Business:

Relay of Life, Tom Witham was 3 rd in donations, $3550. Pot luck ride will be the 25 th of Oct. Last ride for the

club. It was brought up, does anything have to be done to any of the trails for closing. Bob will send Jack

Johnson and email about Ira Trails. Didn’t know what BMAC did in the past. VASA did excavator work

somewhere on the trail, Bob was wondering if they put the new culvert in on Middletown Hill RD. Members

didn’t think they would, they have to get town permission. DeeDee brought in Rutland Herald article on

ATVing. Riding trails in NH compared to VT was discussed. Members felt Vt was behind the times on their

trail systems. Other states are taking advantage of the money generated by ATVing into towns for services.

That was it for new Business. Meeting adjourned at 7:30 PM

Sept 9th, 2015

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:23 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 7:05 p.m. with 12 members present ~ (John Rich, Ed Cole, Ken Cleveland, Dee

Dee Corey, Ray Cole, Steve Koza, Sherry Smith, Deborah Elliott, Lane Corey, Ed Cleveland, Doreen and Bob

Williams)

Minutes from August 12, 2015 meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

There was a discussion on whether to hold another ride before October 1 st . Everyone was busy for

September so it was decided the next ride would be the October 25 th ride at the riverside farm trail on

October 25 th . This will be a potluck ride.

BOD Meeting:

Ray and Ken reported that:

The Public hearings on ATV use on designated trails on state land are scheduled for September 16 th at the

state house and September 24 th at the Bethel Elementary School. Ray will send Bob the news letter to email

to the membership to support the Bill.

Trail Report:

Ken Cleveland was at Woodlawn about 3 weeks prior and said the water bars were in good shape where the

log job had been going on.

No one at the meeting had been to Dutch Hill.

Sherry said they were having trouble with someone leaving the gates open at Riverside farm. She didn’t

believe it is members. Sherry said they would be putting trail cameras up to see who was doing it.

Bob reported that the Ira trails were in good shape and clear.

Old Business:

Still no date from Vasa as to when they would be bringing the excavator down.

New Trail: The discussion continued on new trail development that would tie on to existing trails on Dutch

Hill and continue towards Woodlawn. Ken was looking in to what landowners would need to grant

permission.

We received a thank you letter from the American cancer society for the $250. donation



New Business:

Steve Koza mentioned anyone interested in riding the Nassau, NY Hill town Club you could go on their

website and check them out.

That was it for new Business. Metting adjourned at 7:45 PM

August 12th, 2015

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:21 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 7:00 p.m. with 11 members present ~ (John Rich, Ed Cole, Ken Cleveland, Dee

Dee Corey, Ray Cole, Jim Philbrook, Sherry Smith, Deborah Elliott, Lane Corey, Ed Rivers, and Bob Williams)

Minutes from July 8, 2015 meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

It was decided that the candy ride would be canceled due to Sherry’s farm (Riverside Farm) was still closed

due to trees down and very wet conditions. Sherry recommended that we combine the candy ride with the

last ride of the year which was scheduled for October 25 th . The members agreed to hold a cleanup day

instead. It was scheduled for 9:00 AM with a free hotdog lunch to follow. An email was to be sent out as

well as put it on face book.

The hours for the booth at the carnival, that the club would set up were 9:30 AM to 2:00 PM. Bob was to

send an email and have Doreen get it posted on Facebook for volunteers to man the booth and answer any

questions people had.

Member’s agreed to have a trail ride on August 23 rd . It was decided to go to the Reading Rat’s Trails in

Reading VT. We would meet at the Tractor Supply in Rutland at 8:00 AM. Bob was to send out an email and

have Doreen get it on facebook.

BOD Meeting:

Ray and Ken reported that:

The new (extra person) that Vasa hired to work on the trails quit already, and they were so far in to the

season that they were not going to replace him.

Two dates for public hearings on ATV use on designated trails on State land are being scheduled for

sometime in September. They may have a written comment period.

Vasa still has no set dates when they will be coming to work on the West Rutland trails, but when they do

they will be going to Ira.

Trail Report:

Most all of the trails have been checked and trees cleared.

Sherry’s Farm is still closed due to the wet weather and trees down. The plan is to get the farm cleared on

Sunday enough to open the trails. Sherry’s mom has been given a hard time by a couple of people that

showed up and insisted on riding the trails. She asked that Doreen put a post on Face book to respect the

land owner’s wishes. If the landowner say’s the trails are closed they are closed.

Ray checked on the Ira trail head and Ted had mowed it. No bill had been turned in yet.

Jim Philbrook reported that there was major blow down on Trail 8 in Woodlawn that they had to clear. The

rest of the trails looked pretty good.

The class 4 section at the top of Middletown Hill Road definitely needs some work. Ray thought that is

where Vasa was going to put the Excavator, but they would have to check with the town as it is a class 4

road.

Old Business:

Meet at Central Vermont Motorcycles at 9:30 Saturday for informational booth.

New Trail: The discussion continued on developing a new trail that would tie on to existing trails on Dutch

Hill and continue towards Tinmouth. Ken was going to check on an adjacent landowner to continue out the

ridge. We would have to check on the ordinances in Tinmouth to see what the regulations were for riding

on class 3 and 4 roads.

New Business:

Trail Ride in Reading VT.

That was it for new Business.

.

Meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

July 8, 2015

posted Aug 18, 2016, 8:21 AM by David R. Noel

Meeting called to order at 7:20 p.m. with 10 members present ~ (John Rich, Mike Moyer, Ed Cole, Ken

Cleveland, Dee Dee Corey, Ray Cole, Stacey Wright, Jim Philbrook, Tom Witham, and Bob Williams)

Minutes from June 10, 2015 meeting were read and accepted.

Treasurer’s Report was read and accepted.

Events:

A Club ride was scheduled for July 12 th at Stockbridge (Central VT Quad Runners Trails). It was posted on

Facebook and an email sent out for anyone interested in going to be at the Home Depot Parking Lot at 9:30

on Sunday.

Mike Moyer reported that the July 4 th parade went well. They had 5 machines and 2 floats representing.

Ken Cleveland reported that the Lancaster trail ride had rough oneway trails.

The Big event is scheduled for August 8 th .

BOD Meeting:

Meeting will not be until the following week, so nothing to report.

Ray will find out at the next meeting when they will be scheduling the equipment to work on the West

Rutland Trails. It was on the agenda to discuss Shumlin passing the Bill to allow 4-wheelers to cross state

land on prescribed trails. Central VT Quad runners will be the trial club to try to get a trail through the

approval process. Vasa hired another person to work on the trails, so now they have two.

Trail Report:

Most all of the trails have been checked and trees cleared.

Sherry’s Farm is still closed due to the wet weather and trees down. It has been too muddy to even clear

the trees.

Ray was going to contact Ted to see if he was going to mow the trail head parking as he had done in

previous years, and if not could he recommend someone to do it.

Old Business:

Ken Cleveland reported that Central VT only needed the club to set up a booth for part of a day instead of

3. This would narrow it down so volunteers only had to work a few hours. Ken will find out the exact date

and hours. Bob will post an email for volunteers.

New Business:

Anyone that wanted to go to the Big Event Aug 8, 2015 in Danville could meet at the Home Depot parking

lot at 6:30 AM that Saturday morning.

.

Meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

1-10 of 13